<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

9.21.2004

Tremendous things: what I’m eating and a mad genius

1. Got home from work very very hungry and went straight for a cold spoonful of saltylicious peanut butter. I'm so all-American.

2. Tonight I inaugurated fall by roasting the first cauliflower of the season. Perhaps the coming of autumn isn’t so bad after all, if it means more caramelized cauliflower.


This may well be the most delicious vegetable preparation ever conceived—thank you, Jim Dixon! I restrained myself and only ate half a head. I also roasted a delicata squash and loosely scrambled some pretty brown eggs, and then I ate very dark chocolate.

3. Tim Harrington is at it again. A few very dedicated readers may remember when, in my first-ever post, I mentioned as a source of great inspiration this balding, red-bearded frontman of the indescribable Les Savy Fav. I was first won over when he climbed the walls and shoved whole oranges into his mouth at Paris’ Le Trabendo. Then there was the show at Seattle’s Graceland in which he took off all but his underwear and a towel-turban, climbed down into the crowd, and, passing me, offered the mic. And now this: “I start pretending like I can't get out—you know, it's slippery—so that I can stay there a little longer 'cause the mud felt really good. It wasn't mud so much as like a slick clay. It felt great.” This man is a mad genius. I watch and take notes, just in case I ever get brave enough.


Caramelized Cauliflower
Adapted from Jim Dixon

1 head of cauliflower, white or green
Olive oil
Fine sea salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the head of cauliflower on a cutting board, and slice it top-down into ¼-inch slices, some of which will crumble. Toss cauliflower in a large bowl with plenty of olive oil and a bit of salt, spread it in a single layer on a heavy sheet pan (or two, if one looks crowded), and roast until golden brown and caramelized, turning bits and slices once or twice, about 25 minutes. Devour.

20 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I have never even considered roasting a cauliflower before! I must try!

3:25 AM, September 22, 2004  
Blogger Molly said...

Woohooo! You are in for a serious treat: high heat transforms this stodgy crucifer into a rich, toasty miracle! Do report back.

8:56 AM, September 22, 2004  
Blogger pipstar said...

Oh yum, I love cauliflower and have never thought to roast it -I'm definitely excited to give this a go. Might make a nice change from cauliflower cheese and cauliflower in salad (seems to be all I ever use it for). I sense a whole new world to explore :-)

4:30 PM, September 22, 2004  
Blogger Molly said...

Just for future reference, here's a delicious and warming extrapolation on the roasted cauliflower formula:

To your sliced, uncooked cauliflower add a quartered and sliced red onion and a drained can of chickpeas (or equivalent amount of dried, soaked, and cooked ones). Toss the whole mess with olive oil and salt, and add some garam masala and the curry powder of your choosing. Roast as usual. Eat as is, or top with a poached egg.

[This idea originally came from someone on eGullet.org, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly who first made it. Sorry!]

8:20 PM, September 22, 2004  
Blogger pipstar said...

:Drool: I am definitely going to have to try that one Molly!

9:41 PM, September 22, 2004  
Blogger amylou said...

Thank you for this! I am a total imbecile when it comes to preparing cauliflower. I've only recently gotten over the "eww, albino broccoli" attitude I had to it growing up. I tried once to make "cauliflower paprikash" from the moosewood cookbook and it was absolutely disgusting.

Roasted cauliflower sounds delicious, though. I'm going to make it this weekend.

8:14 AM, September 24, 2004  
Blogger astillac said...

It's okay that I'm two years behind, right? xP

This sounds fabulous; will try.

2:05 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger McAuliflower said...

I am soooo making this for thanksgiving. thanks! Orangie

6:06 PM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger selena said...

Nice! So simple, but so good. Thanks - it was delicious!

2:08 AM, December 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the one going through the blog after reading the book and have mentioned my Grandkids a bit here- I learned about roasted cauliflower before this and my grandkids love it- also posted a recipe on my gardening site and people love it there too- it is amazing and little variations with it work well too.

Charr

8:24 AM, April 11, 2009  
Blogger RuthM said...

Go glad I read Molly's book and started looking at the recipes on her blog. Roasted cauliflower is one of my new favorites!

3:48 PM, April 20, 2009  
Blogger NiCole said...

Aloha Molly,
I made this last night for my boyfriend who adores raw cauliflower and bemoans the fact that so many people feel the need to cook it. He loved this and like you said in the book, was scarping the "crumbs" with his fingers. Thanks for giving a recipe that makes us both happy.
Mahalo!
Nicole

7:00 PM, August 06, 2009  
Blogger Maria Christofi said...

try adding chopped anchovies and stirring the whole lot into pasta with a little lemon, cream and black pepper! you can vary all to taste...you won't need much salt as the anchovies will take care of that....

12:42 PM, October 07, 2010  
Blogger Joanna said...

I like to hit my roasted cauliflower with a bit of balsamic. It brings a nice tangy sweetness to the dish.

12:21 PM, November 02, 2010  
Blogger [LaLa] Lauren said...

I did this last week. It's even better with garlic!

9:42 AM, November 05, 2010  
Blogger Mandy said...

I had only ever liked raw cauliflower, but my sister (also named Molly) told me about your blog and that I HAD to try this preparation. I'm so so glad that she did. Even my picky husband loves this.

12:09 PM, February 26, 2011  
Blogger andpointsbeyond said...

i made a cauliflower soup a while back from a recipe in fine cooking, and it gave me new reason to appreciate this veggie. i made your recipe for dinner last night - so good. now i'm thinking i may have to combine the two for a roasted cauliflower soup... thanks!

6:50 AM, March 31, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been waiting to try this for two whole years and OMG this is just unbelievable. I have just eaten a WHOLE HEAD of cauliflower. Fantastic. Thank you!!

1:37 PM, June 25, 2012  
Anonymous Nelina Gatong said...

wow I thought to caramelize with sugar but looks good and will definitely try this. I love to eat cauliflower

9:34 PM, June 29, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My HS students LOVE this Molly...thanks!!

8:40 PM, October 01, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home