<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

12.20.2005

Scone City

Once again, I’m hawking priceless family treasures over at Seattlest. Last week, it was my great-grandfather’s swashbucklingly boozy egg nog, and this week, it’s my sister’s scones.


Each Christmas, my sister Lisa takes a simple recipe for Scottish scones—a formula given to her, appropriately, by a Scottish friend—and spins it into a half-dozen delicious varieties. In our family, these scones are a much-anticipated Christmas-morning tradition—perfect for eating with one hand while tearing at wrapping paper with the other, and with nary a greasy fingerprint to be found. I’ve written previously about a summery rendition of these rugged beauties, but come Christmas, it’s only appropriate to trot them out again—and this time, in a warming, wintery incarnation spiked with crystallized ginger and daintily freckled with finely chopped pistachios.

If you’re looking for me next Sunday morning, head for Washington, D.C., and follow the crumbs.

Happy holidays, very dear reader. xo

18 Comments:

Blogger foodiechickie said...

Happy Holidays to you as well Molly. Enjoy our nations capital! I was there in September. I am sure it is pretty now with some of the snow they have recieved.

12:23 PM, December 21, 2005  
Blogger Shauna said...

Have a wonderful holiday, Molly. I'm sad I couldn't have these scones, as directed. Certainly there must be a gf way. But for now, just looking at the photo leaves me sated!

have a wonderful trip, my dear.

11:23 PM, December 21, 2005  
Blogger tara said...

Kismet, I tell you. I just bought a pot of clotted cream yesterday.
Enjoy your holidays, my dear!

7:06 AM, December 22, 2005  
Blogger Fran said...

Lovely scones--I'm addicted-both to making and eating them. Oh for one of those right now with tea! Happy Holidays!

11:55 AM, December 22, 2005  
Anonymous Becca said...

scones and eggnog ... perfect Christmas morning breakfast. Merry Christmas to you ... I have really enjoyed reading your blog this year. Your recipes are excellent and your writing extraordinarily engaging.

1:54 PM, December 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Molly, for this wonderful recipe (which has become a mainstay in my kitchen) and for your most excellent blog. Happy holidays and safe travels.

7:27 PM, December 23, 2005  
Anonymous Luisa said...

Scones with ginger! They are fantastic. I first made Nancy Silverton's version a few years ago, and they were GOOD. Your photo is lovely - the flakiness is gorgeous. Merry Xmas!

2:14 AM, December 24, 2005  
Blogger Michèle said...

Hey Molly, HAPPY HAPPY Holidays my dear, I hope you have a wonderful weekend and of course an even better new year!!!

6:37 AM, December 24, 2005  
Blogger chika said...

Hi Molly,

oh can I have one of those ginger-pistachio scones please, or maybe two of them, that's my absolute favorite combination. Happy holidays to you, too!

5:26 PM, December 24, 2005  
Anonymous keiko said...

Molly, I hope you have a lovely christmas and new year, thanks again for inspiring us with your wonderful posts!

8:25 AM, December 25, 2005  
Blogger pomegranate said...

merry christmas.

8:42 AM, December 25, 2005  
Blogger shaz said...

You got really great pictures on your blog.. a joy to read. Merry christmas from Singapore.

8:52 AM, December 25, 2005  
Blogger Molly said...

I have returned at long last from the faraway lands of our nation's capitol, full of scones and absolutely tickled to read all your warm wishes!

My Christmas was pretty wonderful, thank you, with plenty of egg nog, two mornings' worth of Lisa's scones (orange-cranberry, ginger-apricot, lemon, and apple-cinnamon), many tinkly glasses of champagne, a 25-lb turkey, and 15+ family members. Pretty dreamy! But more on that later.

In the meantime, dear readers, I hope that your holidays were and are warm and wonderful, and with a well-stocked table, wherever you may be.

1:08 PM, December 27, 2005  
Blogger kickpleat said...

Molly, for some reason I couldn't sleep on Christmas, so I got up at 4am and read for a while and then hopped on your blog and decided to make your scones. They turned out beautifully and Cornelius awoke to warm cranberry walnut scones with orange zest, freshly squeezed oj and coffee. Yum!! Thanks for posting this and I'll try to refrain from making these every day :)

11:25 AM, December 28, 2005  
Blogger Molly said...

Kickpleat, I'm so glad to hear that your Christmas brought a batch of scones. But really, resistance is futile! You will now be a scone-making machine, I'm afraid.

10:24 AM, December 30, 2005  
Anonymous Tania said...

Mmm ... Scone City ... Wish I lived there!

8:03 PM, January 10, 2006  
Blogger Emily said...

After reading your book I just had to try these scones. I used your base and did my own twist: 2 mashed bananas, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2/3 cup toasted chopped pecans. I had to add a 1/2 cup more flour because of the stickiness of the bananas but they turned out great! I can't wait to continue making variations on your great starter.

Blogged about them....

http://theviewfromthe32ndfloor.blogspot.com

7:54 PM, June 21, 2009  
Anonymous Brooke said...

Hi Molly,
My father-in-law in a huge fan of pistachios and he's coming into town this evening. I'm thinking of making these for him, but I'm missing crystallized ginger. So I'm going to try increasing the amount of pistachios and making these sans ginger. But I have a feeling the flavor might not 'pop' as much. Fingers crossed!

5:36 AM, May 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home