<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

12.11.2006

Menu for Hope

Dear readers:

I know that you have come here today expecting some cookie talk, but I hope you won’t mind if I mix things up a little, just for a minute. The cause is a very good one, I promise.

Today is the opening day of the annual Menu for Hope charity raffle, the brainchild of lovely and benevolent food blogger Pim. Last year, the raffle raised an impressive $17,000 for UNICEF. This year, we aim to raise even more, with all proceeds going to the United Nations World Food Programme. For those of us who take great pleasure in food and cooking, this is a small, fitting way to help those less fortunate. For a mere ten dollars a ticket, you can help someone in need get a nutritious meal – and maybe get yourself a nice raffle prize, to boot. I don’t know about you, but that sounds pretty darn good to me.

Plus, look at those prizes! I hardly know where to start – I want every last one of them. But if I were you – not to be pushy or anything – I’d put my money on one in particular: a chewy, delectable thing that comes from my own kitchen and that Brandon has dubbed, entirely without prompting, “the best cookies, anywhere, EVER.” [You know, of course, that he does exaggerate, but he’s usually right.]


Just think: a dozen chocolate-capped coconut macaroons, lovingly made by yours truly and delivered to your very door! These little beauties never fail to please. A colleague to whom I recently gave a Tupperware of these actually moaned with each bite and then, quite tellingly, held the container to her chest for the remainder of the day. Another friend has taken to calling them “little lumps of heaven.” [I, of course, do not exaggerate.]

I will bake the macaroons to order, topping them with a rich ganache of organic cream and Valrhona chocolate, and I then I will send them via overnight mail to any location – that means you! – in the continental United States. [Sorry, no international or overseas shipments.] Sure, you could hunt around in my recipe archives and make them for yourself, but wouldn’t you rather let me do it? And give some money to a good cause, rather than your local Safeway? I thought so.

Here’s what to do:

1. Go to the donation page at First Giving.
2. Make a donation. Each $10 will give you one raffle ticket toward a prize of your choice. When confirming your donation, please specify which prize (or prizes) you’d like in the “Personal Message” section of the donation form. Be specific: state how many tickets you’d like to put toward each prize, and please use the prize code. My code is UWO6. Don’t forget that! Without that code, you can’t direct your ticket to my macaroons, and that would be terrible.
3. If your company matches your donation, please remember to check the box, and fill in the necessary information so that we can collect those funds too.
4. Should you win, we will need to contact you, so please also check the box to allow us to see your e-mail address. It will not be shared with anyone.
5. Winners will be announced on January 15. In the meantime, hope and wait.

To see other prizes offered by us West Coasters, hop over and visit Sam. And thank her for her hard work.

I’ll be back tomorrow with another treat for the ole tin. In the meantime, you know what to do: donate. Please.

18 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

Do you deliver in person?? ;)

7:35 PM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger Molly said...

Aw, wheremymind, you always ask the tough questions! So sorry, but no, I won't be delivering in person. That's what the mailman is for, you know...

9:49 PM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger Sam said...

you have such a way with words that I can't imagine a life going forward without trying your macaroons.

thanks so much for your entry, Molly.

sam

10:17 PM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger shuna fish lydon said...

delivered to my door? zow.

what a great gift/raffle prize! I'm sorry I thought I had to give something beyond my means. This is inventive indeed.

12:13 AM, December 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad there are other good causes to give to. I haven't donated to charity like the Red Cross of United Way for years. hated how most of the money went to admin costs. but i like what you've posted.

-Janet

12:46 AM, December 12, 2006  
Blogger Julie said...

Our men must be cut from the same cloth. I make some very similar chocolate-dipped macaroons (with Vahlrona too, no less) and my husband goes into a rapture that can't easily be achieved with baked goods.

7:27 AM, December 12, 2006  
Anonymous K said...

Hi, Molly, I enjoy being a lurker on your blog and getting ideas from all your wonderful creations. I wanted to send you and Brandon greetings from Oberlin. (I happened upon an entry where you mentioned that he had been here, which only makes him rise in my estimation!) So, if ever things don't work out in Seattle, you could always come here and open a great coffee shop/bakery. You would have many fans here!

6:25 PM, December 12, 2006  
Anonymous Brett said...

Chocolate and coconut macaroons?! Delicious gift. It's a good thing it's dinner time, because you're making me hungry. Receiving these in the mail would be as close as I suppose we can get to being able to reach into our computers and taste.

7:05 PM, December 12, 2006  
Blogger Molly said...

Oh, thank you, Sam. It's my pleasure.

I'm so glad you like my little macaroon offering, Shuna! I sat back and weighed all the options, and this felt most in keeping with my plans for a handmade-only holiday. It's modest, but it also really feels like me. Macaroons it is!

Thank you, Janet. I hope you'll make a donation!

I hear you, Julie! I don't know what it is about these, but Brandon goes crazy for them. When we were first dating - if you can call it that, since we lived on opposite coasts - I sent him a batch of these in a care package. He shared them with some friends, one of whom told Brandon shortly thereafter that he should marry me. I guess I owe it all to the macaroons, huh?

Nice to meet you, K! And yes, Brandon is indeed an "Obie" - or, more specifically, a "Connie." [He let me in on the lingo. I feel so cool!] He's very loyal to the place - so much so that I feel kind of sad, actually, that I went to Stanford. Gah. Maybe we'll head back to Ohio one day, so I can see his old stomping grounds...

Brett, have you bought your raffle ticket yet? Hmm? I hope so!

9:53 PM, December 12, 2006  
Blogger Tony said...

Hi Molly,

Pim has had a really a lovely idea! Also a good time of year to remember those who go without, day after day after day.

You will be making a HUGE number of macaroons! Could you set some aside for my next trip to the US?

happy macarooning


Tony

3:25 AM, December 13, 2006  
Blogger lobstersquad said...

oh, no, really, that´s not fair, Molly! think of us, langushing in the old continent.

12:21 PM, December 13, 2006  
Blogger Molly said...

Oh, don't worry, Tony - I'll only be making a dozen. One batch, and one batch only, for the lucky raffle winner! But should you come to the States one of these days, I'll bet I could be convinced to make some more...

Lobstersquad, I'm so sorry! I wish international express mail were a little bit cheaper...

1:36 PM, December 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Molly! Another wonderful tale of these macaroons (I wrote you last year when I made them, asking about making small ones):

I'd gotten off to a spazzy start with the macaroons on Saturday, hoping to take them to a cookie potluck (really: not a good idea to look for a plane ticket via dial-up while you warm your cream, particularly when there's no time to drive into town for more AND you've forgotten to work the chilling time into your schedule AND
OHJESUSTHEPARTYSTARTSINTWOHOURSIHAVETOLEAVE!!!). But it was all for the best, really. My oopses meant I found a super-fast and rockin' recipe for butter drop cookies w/ chocolate in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and thus arrived at the party without empty hands. I do love me that Minimalist.

And, Tuesday mornings are the dairy delivery at a little natural grocer I just discovered, and I could get better cream that way, and myohmy! So I redid the ganache yesterday instead, to feed some hungry farmers. I live on a vegetable farm now (Yes, yes! Oh, the tales I could tell of the tomatoes, and the greens, and the bartering with other farmers at market for pork and raw milk and bread), and every Tuesday evening we have a potluck with neighboring farm workers and young farmers -- a super thing, as things are a bit quieter here, socially and otherwise, than they were in NYC. The macaroons were a delightfully received end to a happy, happy feast. The entire meal was a spectacular and relaxed success (farmers are capable of nothing less, especially once the season is done). I braised some of my farmer man's cabbage as well, per your suggestion, with a gaggle of garlic cloves tossed in, in lieu of carrots. The cabbage has become densely sweet in this cold weather! I didn't know it was possible to make that recipe more yummy, but the frosts and the picking it ourselves do do it proud. While I really don't like being the center of attention ... well, the cabbage and the cookies both met many loud moans of rapture. Look what you can do!

Thanks :)

peace
Lisa

4:01 PM, December 13, 2006  
Blogger Molly said...

Oh Lisa, that makes me so happy! Awww! I love the thought of you living on a vegetable farm, and those Tuesday night potlucks! And that braised cabbage with garlic - hot damn, girlfriend. I'll have to try that. In the meantime, please keep me posted on your assorted adventures and oopses and raptures. It's always a treat to hear from you.

10:24 PM, December 15, 2006  
Blogger Eva said...

Hi Molly,
I tried to reproduce your macaroons and I failed... I have to admit that I didn't follow your recipe to the letter: I stopped the cooking process earlier (stuff seemed to get dry) and I didn't have enough space in the fridge (I let them rest at room temperature), and I made them bite-sized. You can see the result here:
http://sweet-sins.blogspot.com/2006/12/baking-christmas-cookies-part-ii.html

What do you think what was the major mistake? Your feedback would be much appreciated!
EVA

4:28 PM, December 20, 2006  
Blogger Molly said...

Eva, I just wrote you a wildly long-winded reply over at your blog - whew! I am verbose, lady. My inclination is that maybe the coconut - or, more precisely, the stuff that sells as sweetened shredded coconut - is different in Australia from what I buy here in the States. Assuming all measurements are correct, I have generally found that this macaroon recipe is pretty flexible, so I'm not sure what else to guess. I hope this helps at least a little...

9:51 PM, December 20, 2006  
Blogger Eva said...

Thanks so much for your advice! It's a tricky business to figure those things out - guess I'll just have to try it again. Until then, I'll blame the coconut!

11:38 PM, December 20, 2006  
Anonymous Liz said...

Hi there! I'm (at least I think I am) the lucky winner of your lovely macaroons!

lcdeane at highstream dot net

Yay!

5:30 AM, January 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home