<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

6.27.2014

June 27

Friday! It’s rainy here in Seattle, as it often is in June. I don’t mind, but I also wouldn’t mind being in a car on the road between Rome and who knows where in Italy, as I was on this day three years ago, when I went over for Luisa’s wedding.*



Let’s go there for a minute.


Maybe to a beach on the Adriatic. Ah.

Earlier this week, I drove to Spokane and back, which is absolutely nothing like a beach in Italy but is still beautiful in its way, and because I was driving alone, I listened to Girl Talk "All Day" very, very loud and did a lot of "dancing," by which I mean flapping my elbows wildly while attempting not to swerve out of my lane. I also listened to The New Yorker Out Loud podcast, which is terrific. Not only did the hours fly by, but I was so fired up by it that found myself attempting to jot notes on an old dry cleaning receipt that I found in the console, and despite the fact that jotting notes on old dry cleaning receipts is not an intelligent thing to do while driving, it felt great to have my brain throw off sparks like that. If your summers, like mine, often involve a decent amount of driving to various getaways (or book signings in Spokane), I highly recommend:

This episode on the rise of vegetarianism.

Or this episode on the Great American Novel.

Or this episode with Jeremy Denk on Bach’s Goldberg Variations, which made me itch to listen to Glenn Gould’s performance when I got home.

In other news, I think I will now be a regular reader of Maria Konnikova’s blog.

Also on my list: as soon as it stops raining and the weather gets its act together and the mornings get too hot for hot coffee, I plan to try these two versions of a Shakerato.

I will also soon be making a batch of last summer’s staple: Rachel’s Zucchini with olive oil, garlic, and basil. I might even make it tonight.

I will also be trying to wrap my head around the fact that Delancey was chosen as one of the Amazon Editors’ Top 20 Best Books of the Year So Far. WHAAAAAAT


Last but not at all least, do you remember my mentioning that night in April when a group of bookish musicians called the Bushwick Book Club performed original songs inspired by A Homemade Life? It felt a little weird, I’ll admit, and also wonderful. I wound up grinning so long and so hard that I got a headache. The songs were brilliant, and I’m thrilled to report that my two favorites were later recorded - and that I get to share them with you. The first, "Slow Roast My Tomatoes," was written and performed by Debbie Miller, and the second, "Bread and Wine," was written and performed by Nick Foster and Jazmarae Beebe. I hope you like them as much as I do.



Happy weekend.

* For some reason, some of the photos in my post about Luisa’s wedding look low-res and blurry. They didn’t look that way when I uploaded them three years ago. No idea.

31 Comments:

Anonymous Sarah (of the Blackwoods) said...

That Amazon declaration!! GO YOU!! Thrilled for you.

Bach's Goldberg Variations as played by Glenn Gould are so wonderful - I love that you can hear him humming along in some parts. Happy weekend, lady :)

2:30 PM, June 27, 2014  
Blogger farmbrenda said...

I have been following your blog for years and have shared A Homemade Life and your orange muffins with many grateful friends. I picked up the book to distract myself with food and recipes after my mom passed away. I didn't realize what an impact your story would have on me and am so thankful to have found the perfect book to help me as I grieved. Congratulations on your new book! You deserve the recognition from Amazon and more.

7:28 PM, June 27, 2014  
Blogger skadia trazon said...

Wow such beautiful pictures! I would love to travel like that. Perhaps one day I will. Road trips are always fun. I always enjoy a good audio book on my long trips. Makes the time fly by. Happy weekend!

10:19 PM, June 27, 2014  
Anonymous Parker Pearson said...

Congrats on the Amazon recognition! Loved the book too. They're not wrong.

I laughed, I cringed, I thanked my stars I never got dragged into the resteraunt business by my significant other. (Now if only his penchant for tech startup projects would level out.....)

4:20 AM, June 28, 2014  
Blogger Denise in PA said...

I'm not surprised that Delancey was chosen as a top 20! You, again, hit it out of the park with this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it as I did A Homemade Life and it's one I'll read again and again! So, when does your next one come out?? o:)

4:43 AM, June 28, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy for you. You sound content. Yet, full of an adventurous spirit.

6:46 AM, June 28, 2014  
Blogger Lauren said...

Congratulations on the Amazon ranking! That is incredible and so well deserved!

Lauren | http://www.livelovelauren.com

7:48 AM, June 28, 2014  
Blogger vannevar said...

All Day is definitely my playlist for a long drive (but I usually queue up Daft Punk Alive '97 for afterward).

8:44 AM, June 28, 2014  
Anonymous Isabelle said...

Oh my - gorgeous photos once again. Love your blog.

9:10 AM, June 28, 2014  
Anonymous Jessie Voigts said...

Love. Congrats!!

9:42 AM, June 28, 2014  
Blogger DeLynn Dellarosa said...

How do you sign up just for just the Maria Konnikova blog on the New Yorker? I would like to follow her as well.

11:34 AM, June 28, 2014  
Anonymous Victoria said...

Congratulations on Delancey's making the Amazon Top 20, which it roundly deserves.

I saw Neil Gaiman do a reading at Carnegie Hall last night where he performed with an Australian string quartet called FourPlay. It was fabulous - just like listening to music inspired by A Homemade Life must have been.

It was also thrilling to see the auditorium packed with a diverse crowd - everyone enjoying the same thing from his or her own perspective.

11:59 AM, June 28, 2014  
Anonymous kelli h. said...

molly molly molly
I just finished DELANCY and read it all in one go. I just love your writing style, it's so just like you are sitting across the table from me in a coffee house with steaming mugs of Olympia coffee roasting company coffee and you are eating one of my hand pies and I am eating one of your ginger pistachio scones and you are just telling me a story. and you don't even drink coffee, do you? I forget(sorry).
I feel like I know you from following your blog(everyone says this but it is true) for a couple of years. and we live in the same part of the world.
YOU SHOULD COME VISIT.
I live in Port Townsend. up on the Olympic peninsula where we have an abundance of farms and food people.
I am one of said food people. I have a booth at our famous Saturday market.
I take the bounty of our area and make sweet and savory hand pies. it's so fun. and kind of like Delancy, not something that was long in the planning, kind of like, that would be fun, let's try it for a summer. 3 summers later and I just bought a fully fitted commercial kitchen and store front(aren't you jealous?).no remodeling with ceiling in my hair, not even much cleaning on the day I got the key!
now there is plenty of flour to be swept up, over and over from my baking and from the 4 other flour based businesses I rent time to. people ask me if I can make a gluten free pie and I have to chuckle that I would have to have another kitchen to do that, so much flour everywhere.
so I've completely lost my point....oh yes, your writing is so awesome and that means you are awesome to. thanks for sharing your life with all of us. and do come to Port Townsend some time, you guys would love it. thanks for being you! :)
kelli h.

8:22 PM, June 28, 2014  
Anonymous Karen White said...

Congratulations on Delancey making the top 20! What a special moment for you and well deserved.
I will listen to Bach's Goldberg Variations (played by Glenn Gould).

12:10 AM, June 29, 2014  
Blogger Laura McGowan said...

Yea! Thank you for the podcast links. I will be driving from Virginia to New Jersey and back in July, and then up to Maine and Cape Cod and back to NJ then Virginia in August, so those will come in handy. Congratulations on the kudos for your book. I loved it. Also, I made the "Winning Hearts and Minds" cake AGAIN, last night for my wedding anniversary, and it was absolutely fantastic. Best cake ever!

8:34 AM, June 29, 2014  
Anonymous stacy said...

Thanks for the link to the New Yorker podcast on vegetarianism--as someone who has transitioned to a mostly vegetarian diet over the past few years, it was very interesting.

Congrats on making the Amazon list!

4:15 PM, June 29, 2014  
Blogger lucinda smith said...

congratulations on the recognition on Amazon! delancy was great and i just picked up a homemade life, which i'm pumped to read. also, SHAKERATO!

8:02 AM, June 30, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slightly off topic, but congrats on Delancey being in The 101 Best Pizzas In America.

UncArn

2:54 PM, June 30, 2014  
Anonymous Laura. said...

Okay. You have re-inspired me to try yet again (I haven't succeeded so far) to try cold-brewing coffee. I am excited to try a shakerato WITH MAPLE SYRUP.

8:42 PM, June 30, 2014  
Blogger Mallory Fay said...

you say the pictures are of low resolution and do not look as sharp as they did originally...honestly, i like the feel of them. i can't pinpoint what it is exactly, but they make my brain cells happy :) hope you have a great week! And congrats on Amazon - that is fantastic!

5:15 AM, July 01, 2014  
Anonymous Vicki @ Playin' Outside said...

Thank you once again for sharing those little events, songs, ideas, and snippets that make life beautiful.

11:41 AM, July 01, 2014  
Blogger Gaelen said...

Ahhh for summer days and a little child-free time! It's amazing how our brains can suddenly spring to life under those conditions. Yur comment about Glenn Gould reminds me to tell you that you simply must check out Simone Dinnerstein's recording of the Goldberg Variations. It is the thing I go to ith to relax and to get work done. I saw her live and she does not hold back. Amazing. Your life sounds wonderful -- thank you for sharing it with us.

4:00 PM, July 01, 2014  
Anonymous Debbieo said...

It was so nice to have you in Spokane. I have enjoyed A Homemade Life and it was such a pleasure to attend your reading and signing at Aunties Book. Please come again! Congrats on the Amazon recognition.

5:44 PM, July 01, 2014  
Blogger ga447 said...

I just finished reading "Delancey" and it was great. Finished it within 12 hours. It brought back so many memories of when I was in the food business deli/queens and Long Island NY. We worked from 5am (good breakfast business, lunches and catering) to 10am. Made everything from scratch nothing came out of plastic containers. We were closed on Sunday and we took a week off. Another deli was on the next block but it worked.

6:26 PM, July 02, 2014  
Anonymous Paula said...

How did I not know The New Yorker had a podcast?!? Thanks for the recommendation, and thanks for the recipe - I'll be trying it with my next batch of zucchini

11:11 AM, July 03, 2014  
Blogger Rosy Brewer said...

Hi Molly. I mentioned you in my blog today. Thank you for the inspiration. Rosy

http://rosythereviewer.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-sturm-und-drang-of-writing-blog.html

11:25 AM, July 04, 2014  
Anonymous MexicoCooks said...

I'm reading Delancey right now. Amen to Amazon, what a terrific job. Your voice is who you are, not anybody else. That seems easy but no no it isn't.

Do you know my friend Fanny Gerson's book Paletas? Mexican ice pops, excellent recipes.

Do you know Mexico Cooks!?

Keep writing yourself, what you have to say matters.

12:11 PM, July 06, 2014  
Anonymous Juanita said...

Just read David Lebovitz's comments about you book. He apparently loves it! Good work, Molly!

7:58 PM, July 08, 2014  
Blogger Terry M said...

I'm in the middle of reading Homemade Life and had to stop and check out your blog to get a better sense of who you are. So far, your book has made me laugh, cry, salivate, and make me want to get in the kitchen and stay cooking! I grew up in a big family with a Mom who showed her love through food, and I'm happy to say I've carried on her tradition (except for the big family part). I can't wait to try some [all] of the recipes. Congrats on the restaurant, I will mention it to my Seattle friends and hopefully get there myself someday!

12:02 PM, July 11, 2014  
Blogger Sophia moreno-bunge said...

I just have to say-- you and your recommendations are THE MOST inspiring! Thank you thank you thank you!

7:06 PM, July 14, 2014  
Blogger Kelli Samson said...

Yay, you! And I love these songs - hilarious! Soak it all up. xo

4:26 PM, July 16, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home